The next edition of Red Carpet Festival – Karama Palestine will be held from 12th till 17th of May 2022, through an open call through the Film Free Way platform. The festival will be in (corporation) with the French Institute in Gaza and Ramallah.. During the five days of the festival, screenings of short films will be projected at the French Institute and small cinema clubs and NGOs in Gaza and Ramallah. In addition, there will be a master class on how to create short films focusing on human rights issues. The workshops, screenings and outreach program will be mounted in closed assemblies and not in the open air, in order to avoid security harassment and to abide by the restricted budget of this edition.
Although one can easily expect that it would be rather impossible for events to be organized in Palestine and Gaza Strip, due to the constant war the constant Israeli violation of the rights of the Palestinian people on a daily bases; The Red Carpet Festival for Human Rights held virtual events in view of the difficult health conditions that the Gaza Strip is going through following the Covid 19 pandemic. However, despite all the terrible circumstances, the festival organizers are still steadfast in their hope and determination to cooperate with their partners.
From this standpoint a joint even of screening the Irish film “Gaza”, directed by Andrew McConnell and Gary Keane, was organized between Karama HRFF in Amman and Karama Palestine, where a simultaneous screening was held, the screening took place in the French Institute in Gaza and in the Ma3mal 612 Technical HUB in Amman. Followed by a joint discussion via Zoom where one of the two directors “Andrew McConnell” joined and participated in the discussion.
The film was also screened online at the platform dedicated for ANHAR and Karama, the film was available online for 48 hours. It’s worth mentioning that the film “Gaza” has premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. It was awarded the Pull Focus Award at the Belfast Film Festival 2019, Human Rights & Social Justice Award at Disappear Here Film Festival 2019, Dublin Film Critics Award at Dublin International Film Festival 2019.
Following the settlers’ attempts to seize the homes of Palestinians in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood, and the Zionist occupation forces’ storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque, the Palestinian resistance factions in Gaza responded by firing rockets. The heavily armed Zionist occupation forces, which is considered one of the five most powerful armies in the world, launched devastating bombings destroying many residential buildings and unarmed Palestinian civilians. This Zionist bombardment and counter-bombing continued for ten days, killing 243 people in Gaza, including 66 children, and wounding more than 1900 Palestinians. On the part of the settlers, 12 people were killed and hundreds were wounded.
Human rights organizations around the world responded condemning the Zionist racist settlement and supporting the struggle of the Palestinian people in the face of the Zionist war machine and genocide. Some of the responses are:
- Human Rights Watch announced: that the abuses of the occupation require that he be tried for crimes of apartheid.
- The BDS Jordan Association announced that it will establish a strategic plan in its work.
- BDS USA: It won a decision from the Georgia state courts not to consider its activities unconstitutional and thus allowing it to hold marches and vigils against the practices of the occupation and to call for a boycott of its goods.
- The “Blacklivesmatter” association announced its support for the rights of the Palestinian people, stressing its commitment to work to end all forms of colonial settlement, and that it is committed to calling for the liberation of Palestine.
- In addition to many Western politicians who openly expressed their opinion:
- And many artistic personalities, especially in Hollywood:
- And many Arab artists, such as the artist Faya Younan:
Red Carpet Human Rights Film Festival – Karama Gaza is now receiving film submissions for its 4th edition which will take place in Gaza from 23rd of November – 29th of November 2018.
Submit your film now on this link .