Youth of the World Together Organization (YWT), in partnership with the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ) and funded by the German Federal Ministry, held a screening of seven Yemeni films on December 19, 2022, during the 13th edition of Karama HRFF in Jordan. These films were directed by young Yemeni directors, delivering stories about the daily life of the Yemeni citizen who tried and succeeded in creating a different reality for themselves, their family and their community. These narratives reflect the views of peaceful coexistence as a change intended to create an atmosphere of understanding; to live together by celebrating differences and appreciating diversity. The screenings were followed by a discussion session attended by the Jordanian public, the Yemeni community in Jordan, a number of ambassadors’ offices and embassies.
The first day included a welcome speech by Sawsan Darwaza (Karama HRFF director) about the importance of joint activity with Karama Yemen. Nasser Almang, Executive Director of YWT, delivered an opening speech followed by a speech by Aishatu Gwadabe on behalf of the team of Yemen Peace Building Support Project. This was followed by introduction videos about the Arabia Felix Short Film Competition project.
The films screened were:
- “Zija” directed by Haitham Awn, Short Documentary.
- “Sparkle” directed by Nossyba Muthana, Short Animation.
- “Abrar” directed by Manal Alshibani, Short Fiction.
- “Between Two Pictures” directed by Saleh Alarosi, Short Fiction.
- “Souq Alhara” directed by Montaser Alkholidi, Short Documentary.
- “What Brings You Here” directed by Saber Wasel, Short Documentary.
- “Fateel” directed by Yasmeen Alkalisi, Short Animation.
The discussion session that followed these screenings took place in the presence of each of the directors: Montaser Alkholidi, Haitham Awn, Manal Alshibani, Saleh Alarosi, and Yasmeen Alkalisi. These films were also screened again the following day, on December 20, 2022, at Rainbow Cinema.